TeacherLingo.com is an educational community where teachers share their worksheets, lesson plans, printables and other original teaching resources.

Teaching Resources created and sold by real teachers.

Login to TeacherLingo.com        Create Account on TeacherLingo.com

What makes a teacher an expert

Do you know teachers you would term as experts? What makes an expert?

Expert Teachers?

I have been teaching for quite a few years and have recently decided to go back to school myself. The question of expert teachers has come up in class and what a discussion that started! It made me think about how many teachers I know that I would term expert . Anyone what to share thoughts on what makes a teacher an expert? Are there any experts out there or is it like looking for the Tooth Fairy and the Yeti?
Published Sunday, September 30, 2007 7:44 PM by ARinNJ
Comments

MysteryTeacher said:

Well, I think of an expert teacher as a teacher with at least 5 years experience, more than just a BA, and a proven test-score record.  But, that doesn't mean teaching to the test like they are making us do now.

An expert teacher is one who can take any material and create lessons that are both engaging and knowledge based.  Many of our young teachers have a difficult time creating lessons.  They want them scripted out.  It is frustrating and not what teaching is all about.

Techniques of Active Engagement are also a way of showing an expert teacher.

September 30, 2007 7:13 PM

Newtoblogging said:

I agree that an expert teacher can create a lesson out of any materials, but I disagree that expert teachers should be held by a proven test-score record. (There are too many things that can affect a students' test score.)  I also think that new teacher s should begin with scripted lessons. They cannot get better at teaching until they practice, practice, practice. As a teacher of seven years I know that I still write out my lesson plan because it helps me stay focused, make sure I am meeting my objectives, and I have a record of what I have accomplished.

October 1, 2007 7:50 PM

John Spencer said:

I think different teachers are experts at different things.  My strengths are in creating engaging lessons and encouraging students to think deeply about life.  Yet, I suck at paperwork.  I am almost worthless in planning activities.  Yet, I have pretty good classroom management. What is cool this year is that I work with a teacher who is on top of things in terms of adminstrative tasks and he and I team up really well.

October 1, 2007 10:20 PM

Newtoblogging said:

It is great when you learn to team up with another staff member. I think this is another part of being an expert teacher. Not just anybody can team teach and work well with someone. I am currently team teaching with two different teachers. It is great!

October 2, 2007 7:43 PM

jkl05001 said:

I don't think there is one kind of expert teacher. I do think though that you have to have taught for a while to get the experiece of being a teacher. To be able to get your kids to learn and get their tests scores up I think your an expert teacher. Also, to be able to connect with your kids so that they respect you and want to learn when they come into your class.

October 4, 2007 3:31 PM

Betty said:

I think that having an open mind to new things helps a teacher get close to "expert" level.  Admitting that you don't know everything is big in my book.

October 4, 2007 3:40 PM

Jake said:

It's interesting reading all your comments on what you believe makes an expert teacher.  I am a second year teacher and by no means do I beleive I am an expert.  I have heard a teacher say though, that it is impossible to attain the level of expert because every student is unique and to admit that we are experts means admitting that we have met and positively dealt with every possible type of student.  Any thoughts???

November 27, 2007 5:05 PM
New Comments to this post are disabled.

This Blog