Who's On Second?

Blog for second grade teachers, but all are welcome!

What Goes On in Your Staff Meetings?

Tongue TiedOne thing I don't look forward to when school starts is our weekly staff meeting.  It is always the same, with all of the emphasis being devoted to one initiative that our principal favors.  Maybe once in a while it's okay to stick with the one topic, but not every single meeting!   On a positive note, our principal works hard to keep the meetings to one hour after school, so that's much better than some of my friends at other schools. I like the initiative that our school is adopting, but it feels like there must be other subjects to discuss once in a while! I'm wondering how others in "blog land" feel about their staff meetings.
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:54 PM by sellen
Filed under:

Comments

MysteryTeacher said:

I know a school where if the meeting goes one minute beyond the time the teachers are to leave, they do!  They just get up and walk out.  I can't believe it.

At our school, we only have meetings about once a month.  It wasn't enough so we scheduled them for every 2 weeks.  They never last long unless there is a real problem.  We also have committees up the wazoo!  Those take time.  In the past, there was a teacher who would just bring up crap and argue and argue to hear her own voice I think.  She could make the meetings go on forever.  We hated her.  My principal is very cognizant of our time and wonderful about meetings.

# July 12, 2007 11:51 PM

Betty said:

I had a principal that always asked for questions at the end of the meeting, and the same teachers always raised their hands to ask about something that usually wasn't important.  I think emails might be better than staff meetings.  They could be more specific to the teachers involved.

# July 13, 2007 8:26 AM

Betty said:

# July 13, 2007 8:27 AM

mimi said:

I totally know what you mean...except in my school, I wouldn't exactly call them meetings.  Calling it a "meeting" implies that there will be dialogue- like a meeting of the minds.  At our school,  it's more like the principal talks AT us for about an hour.  So maybe they would be better named Monologues.  At best, it's more like an information session.  It would be nice to be asked what we think every once in a while.

If you want to laugh about all these frustrations (and more!!) check out my blog at The Chalk Talks...I'm pretty new to this teacher lingo thing, but I like  it!!

Mimi

# July 13, 2007 8:55 AM

Samantha said:

I agree with mimi and mystery teacher and betty. We have even had teachers get "talked to" for looking at another teacher in the staff meeting, if some new program is being dreaded.

Just once, I'd love to hear- "I know this is not what we would like, it may be bogus, but, we have to do it so- let's give it our best shot." Do all principals really BELIEVE that these programs will work? It seems so obvious that no one is listening to the classroom teachers.

Anyway, on a positive note, I think that I will just say the above dialogue to myself during staff meetings this year!

# July 14, 2007 12:11 AM

KM said:

Our staff meetings occur once a month.  They are usually about 1 1/2 hours long, with union business at the end after the principal and VP leave.  The only difficulty is that a third to one quarter or so of teachers are missing (most due to coaching).  It would be nice to have everyone there, seeing as it's only one day a month!

# July 15, 2007 3:46 PM

MysteryTeacher said:

I have been in staff meetings where the meeting has been stopped and teachers asked to stop talking, stop grading papers, stop doing whatever they are doing and pay attention.  It is really rude to be doing something else when you are supposed to be in a meeting.  Ours is not the "being talked at" kind of leadership.  Ours are participation.  However, I get tired of the talking (unless it is me) and wish I was grading papers.  Sometimes that is more important than what is being talked about.  We have had some really really rude teachers in our school (note the HAD) They talked out loud to each other while the principal was trying to get business done.

# July 15, 2007 10:57 PM

mimi said:

I know what you mean Mystery Teacher.  We have two distinct groups at school..those who listen during meetings, and those that talk, eat, grade papers and basically are blatantly not listening.  While our principal does get on his soapbox quite a bit, I still think that is insanely RUDE and that maybe we, as teachers, would get asked what we think from time to time if these people weren't holding us back by acting this way.  I just wish he would call them out....Good for your school for trimming the fat.

# July 16, 2007 9:11 AM

sellen said:

We have the same thing with all the talking during meetings. If people would just shut up and listen we could probably get done sooner! I have had to make presentations (reluctantly) at staff meetings and it's so annoying when you're already sort of nervous anyway and then some people are so rude. Especially if the principal has asked everybody not to talk and they keep it up! You know these same teachers wouldn't tolerate or appreciate that kind of behavior from their students, so why do they think it's okay in an adult atmosphere? Let's face it, we all have other things we'd rather be doing, but there is no excuse for outright rudeness and disrespecT!

# July 16, 2007 11:47 AM
New Comments to this post are disabled.