TeacherLingo.com is an educational community where teachers share their worksheets, lesson plans, printables and other original teaching resources.

Teaching Resources created and sold by real teachers.

Login to TeacherLingo.com        Create Account on TeacherLingo.com
Visitors are welcome to view but to post you will need to register first. Registration is free and only takes a minute.
Please remember to follow our Terms of Use.

How Much Technology Is In Your EFL/ESL/ELD classroom?

Last post 10-07-2012, 8:23 AM by Andree Carten. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-03-2010, 7:37 PM 331353

How Much Technology Is In Your EFL/ESL/ELD classroom?

I teach in the Silicon Valley in Calfornia.  Technology runs in the blood out here.  However, there are still many teachers who shy away from it.  How much technology do you use in your classroom and how comfortable do you feel using it?

Thanks.

Denise

"To teach is to touch the future!"

Denise Stewart, M.A. in TESOL
  •  03-17-2010, 10:26 PM 336178 in reply to 331353

Re: How Much Technology Is In Your EFL/ESL/ELD classroom?

I am student teaching in a 2nd/3rd ELL classrooom in Seattle.  We use an ELMO for instruction and a microphone for the students to share during reading/writing.  We also have 4 student computers and 2 teacher computers that the kids can use during centers (stations).  That pretty much covers the technology use in our class.  I would love to hear what your experience with technology is like...
  •  08-07-2010, 10:05 PM 351716 in reply to 336178

Cool, I like the microphone for students to share during reading/writing!  I work in a private school and we are very fortunate to have Eno Boards. These are great and the students LOVE them!  A wonderful website that i refer to is iear.org.  This is an INFORMATIVE resource for integrating the new technology for our classrooms!!  I also came across a neat supplementary app, a resource for the iphone, ipod, and ipad called SMARTY SHORTZ 1st (I believe this company is coming out with apps K-12).  It is amazing what is going on with the technology today and how it will effect our teaching.  I love it and our students love it more! :)  Using this platform, ie... iphone/ipod and ipad, students of ALL abilities can learn by using most of their senses (sight, sound, touch) to review important concepts that are taught in school.  It is such an exciting time to be a teacher!!
  •  07-29-2011, 4:31 PM 517244 in reply to 331353

I teach K-5 ESL in Memphis, TN. I happened upon an unused Smartboard in a closet and have used it every hour since getting it set up. The applications are limitless. Just yesterday I was also given a Document camera for use with my projector. I wanted this so I could project good children's books onto the screen. The internet offers a very limited selection of free books, but now I can read any book and the kids can all see and read along. Will post later about how that goes. School starts next week.
  •  09-24-2011, 5:29 PM 527710 in reply to 331353

This year, I have the chance to have my own classroom.

I have a projector, audio system, dvd reader, microphone and my computer. It is the only way I have to engage my students in the process of learning a new language as English. How can I do it without all those gadgets? Probably, I can, but using the technologies, I attract the attention of my students.

Julian VM

http://elteacherjulian.blogspot.com

I learn then I teach
  •  10-07-2012, 8:23 AM 715521 in reply to 331353

Hello Denise,

For me, I could not teach ESL without technolgoy. There are so many great resources for them to use. In fact, I have a website for them where I post their daily activities that they must do.

We usually start with the tongue twister that I found online and we do it all together, the beginners to the intermediate and he one advanced student I currently have in one of my classes.

Then, I after we do some hands on activities, I let them go online and do the various interactive exercises. One of them that I use on a regular basis is the interactive audio dictation. They take their headphones and write what they hear, then they are graded directly. I am in Virginia and we have the SOL tests, so I often have released online test for them to do, to help them succeed when they will do the real tests. At other time, I go to Discovery Education and, as a class we watch a video. I teach at 2 schools every day, so at one of the schools, I give them headphones to watch the video but at the other school, I have a Promethean Board and do it as a class. During that time, they have to use my general video form I have for them where they need to write 10 full sentences about what they see. For the beginners, I ask them to write 10 words they can recognize, the ones they hear, not the ones they see writing down if it occurs.

Oh... and I also use the website Quizlet which is so helpful. They have interactive flashcards, but not only they can hear and see, but they also have activities that go along with that, such as dictation, speller, etc. To start the week, I like to print what they will be learning and this is from the first page where it is possible to print in various formats (index card, list, etc.). I give them the printed copy and have them translate in their language what it means (sometimes it's already with Spanish or other languages). This sheet will be for them to study and use to do the interactive activities. Once this is done, they have 2 games that relates with what they learn.

I hope this was helpful... I certainly could use more suggestions, so feel free to let me know about more!

Also, in my store, I have something for the ESL class... feel free to go see it.

Andree

View as RSS news feed in XML