TeacherLingo.com is an educational community where teachers share their worksheets, lesson plans, printables and other original teaching resources.

Teaching Resources created and sold by real teachers.

Login to TeacherLingo.com        Create Account on TeacherLingo.com
Visitors are welcome to view but to post you will need to register first. Registration is free and only takes a minute.
Please remember to follow our Terms of Use.

Special Education Philosophy of Inclusive vs. Self-contained classrooms

Last post 04-09-2016, 12:41 AM by Sharakear. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-20-2010, 4:44 PM 359615

Special Education Philosophy of Inclusive vs. Self-contained classrooms

Hello, I a seeking advice and opinions on the philosophy of education for both Inclusive and Self-contained classrooms.  If you can help this is the type of information I am hoping to obtain;

What is your philosophy on inclusive classrooms?

How do you implement this philosophy into your
    classroom?

Do you have a Mission statement?

Do you have a
    theory of knowledge?

What is your opinion on self-contained
    classrooms?

Thank-You!!!

•  12-11-2010, 10:25 PM 387990 in reply to 359615

Re: Special Education Philosophy of Inclusive vs. Self-contained classrooms

I'm not sure if I will be able to answer all of this- but maybe some!  I teach preschool special education.  My classroom is set up as a "self-contained" room (all children have IEP's).  We have a total of 5 preschool classrooms in our school-2 self contained, 3 integrated (6 children with IEP's/12 without). 

My own philosophy is that all children should be with their peers in an integrated setting as much as possible.  Because the children in my classroom often are unable to benifit from a classroom with 18 children, I provide my students with "reverse integration"  (several typically developing peers visit our room daily to participate in activities with the children in my classroom).  We also integrate during our outdoor time which is benificial for the children. 

For the majority of children I believe integrated classrooms, with necessary supports are generally prefereble to pulling children out and providing services in a "self-contained" setting.  However, there are always children who will need a smaller setting with more adult assistance and lessons based on their individual needs. 

There is never a cut and dry answer- and I think looking at the child as an individual and providing the necessary supports in the least restrictive environment is always what we should aim for!  Hope I answered at least some of your questions!  and, of course, this is all just my own opinion!

•  11-30-2015, 6:37 PM 886482 in reply to 387990

thanks for the list guys. it'll really help me.

•  04-09-2016, 12:41 AM 895391 in reply to 359615

Special education is favorable for making their self contained education and it is helps for making perfect writing papers and growth their educational level. The education philosophy is very important for providing successful educational matters to the students. The academic writing service is helps for providing writing tips and writing papers.
View as RSS news feed in XML