TeacherLingo.com is an educational community where teachers share their worksheets, lesson plans, printables and other original teaching resources.

Teaching Resources created and sold by real teachers.

Login to TeacherLingo.com        Create Account on TeacherLingo.com
Visitors are welcome to view but to post you will need to register first. Registration is free and only takes a minute.
Please remember to follow our Terms of Use.

lunchroom discipline

Last post 12-12-2016, 6:10 AM by RichardHinton. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-07-2007, 7:07 PM 9021

lunchroom discipline

I need some ideas on how to control the noise level in the lunchroom while the PK-2nd grade are eating. Currently we have someone on duty but she is having a hard time convincing the little ones to talk quietly while they eat so she blows a whistle. It works temporarily but then the noise level increases. We hate to tell them to not talk at all. We need some fresh ideas. We are trying to postpone telling the teachers that they have to sit with their class. Does anyone have any suggestions that could help us?

•  09-11-2007, 10:04 AM 9278 in reply to 9021

Re: lunchroom discipline

When I taught in elementary school, we had a traffic light that showed green when the noise level was okay, yellow when they needed to calm down a bit, and red meant no talking.  You could also do this with flags, kind of like the warnings on the beach.  Maybe they could earn ice cream or free time if they didn't go to red more than a few times a week. 
    Learning continues to be fun and keeps us young.
  •  09-11-2007, 4:36 PM 9284 in reply to 9278

Thank you!
  •  09-14-2007, 5:26 PM 9487 in reply to 9278

Mrs. Betty, I am not a teacher yet (but am working on it) but I think that is a great idea about the traffic light.  I will have to remember that.
  •  10-02-2007, 9:47 AM 11097 in reply to 9021

We also used the traffic light in our lunch room. The only difference was the students lost their recess if the red light went off. They got one chance for the red light to go off and then it was 10 minutes off their recess anytime after that. It seemed to work really well. We even let them start earning their time back. If the light stayed green for 5 minutes then they could get 10 back. We do not use the traffic light at the current school I work at. And the lunch room is a problem! Thank God I have recess duty!! 

Big Smile

•  12-12-2016, 6:10 AM 901103 in reply to 9021

The disiplines of life must be thought to the children when they are growing up and parents should prepare their children with good habits and deeds. As per the dissertation writers reviews childrens should be able to eat by themselves in their school at lunch breaks. Parents should make an habituate of such things at a small age itself.
View as RSS news feed in XML