TeacherLingo.com is an educational community where teachers share their worksheets, lesson plans, printables and other original teaching resources.

Teaching Resources created and sold by real teachers.

Login to TeacherLingo.com        Create Account on TeacherLingo.com
Visitors are welcome to view but to post you will need to register first. Registration is free and only takes a minute.
Please remember to follow our Terms of Use.

trends

Last post 06-27-2017, 12:19 PM by omarys26. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-16-2017, 5:32 AM 902596

trends

There's an interesting trend in American colleges, as reported by a writing service expert, which for some time offered 'extension' courses (outside classes/readings/homework and in-house testing.) For credit or not, these were costly courses, but valuable to (especially) working people who needed or wanted to 'upgrade' their knowledge. As a retiree, I want to enroll in a language class - French, Mandarin, Spanish were my possibles. Thought i'd try the local community college (CA) but for my county there is none - the closest site is 80 miles RT. and there is no online class offered - though if I wanted to buy a cable TV and get satellite service (no cable in my area) I could go to class. I tried navigating the local CC district's web site, and it is a horror - even the site recommends you have a 1:1 with an 'academic counselor, and they don't respond to emails sent to the address listed. I'm no stranger to universities - have my BA from the 'Big 10', MS from the PAC 10, and PhD from an Ivy...yet can't find a site within commuting distance (or online) which offers classes for adults... . After perusing extension courses for the UC system (Berkeley offers all the languages you want, as long as its Spanish, and only in-class) I checked UC Davis. Bingo! a clear website for both students and 'single course' students, and - more. UCD offers 'Open Classroom' - anyone can go to any class that's offered on campus, as long as there is space and the teacher agrees...classes can be done for your own interest, for pass/fail, or for grade (the latter two will, of course, cost for credits/transcript)...and they have online language class...as long as it's Spanish.  I'm not sure why NorCal CCs seem to believe students will drive 80+ miles/day...or should have to...because they are from rural areas. I'll take my 120 m/day commute to Davis and probably love it, but there should be more options for all 'learners' (outside of expensive online 'Universities' like U. of Phoenix).
  •  06-27-2017, 12:19 PM 904308 in reply to 902596

Re: trends

Thanks a lot for you explanation

Londone scorts
View as RSS news feed in XML