TeacherLingo.com is an educational community where teachers share their worksheets, lesson plans, printables and other original teaching resources.

Teaching Resources created and sold by real teachers.

Login to TeacherLingo.com        Create Account on TeacherLingo.com
Visitors are welcome to view but to post you will need to register first. Registration is free and only takes a minute.
Please remember to follow our Terms of Use.

about a situation with teaching Pre-k

Last post 03-08-2018, 6:02 AM by MilfordHowe. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-21-2008, 4:25 PM 45354

about a situation with teaching Pre-k

I graduate college april 2007 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Early Childhood Education Degree and I got a job in homestead teaching Pre-K at South dade childcare center with catholic charities in September.  On Feb 26 I found out that somebody complained to me about forceing a child to sit down in another spot.  I told this child to move from where he was sitting and he didn't listen so I pick him up and let him sit down next to me. My assitant did the samething with another child the next day and she didn't get in trouble at all but I did.  They put me on suspension from Feb 27 with effective pay but it is March 21st and I haven't heard anything from anybody yet.  I have been emailing and leaving message but nobody calls me back so I need to know what to do about this situation?  It is really upsetting about this situation and now I don't know if I would be comfortable to go back and teach Pre-K.  I love substituting and I would like to go back and substitute.  Do you think I will be able to substitute at MDCPS while I'm on suspension?  How can I find out about it?  Any suggestions of what I should do?  I love to work with children but I really need help on disciplining the children or having them work quietly..  

Lori Burstein

Lori Burstein
  •  07-27-2008, 2:30 PM 79481 in reply to 45354

Re: about a situation with teaching Pre-k

Hi Lori,

I am sorry you are going through such an uncertain time.

In the ECE profession what you used would be considered physical violence. You purposely placed your hands on and forced a child to move from a specific spot without his/her consent.

When disciplining our students we must remember why we are disciplining. Every moment should be a learning opportunity.

Why did you need the child to move?
    Could the situation been handled differently?

Could you have moved closer to the child? Instead of he/she sitting next to you, could you have sat next to him?

As a "lead" teacher we set the tone for the classroom. Your assistant probably wasn't reprimanded because you are the one who should be responsible for her actions while in your classroom.

~Teresa,
    Student, mom, wife
  •  03-08-2018, 6:02 AM 907712 in reply to 45354

Re: about a situation with teaching Pre-k

The teacher should have patience in handling the children. As per the bid4papers review, most of the schools are following strict rules on teaching. You have to communicate with your higher authorities to getback to your services.
View as RSS news feed in XML