TeacherLingo.com is an educational community where teachers share their worksheets, lesson plans, printables and other original teaching resources.

Teaching Resources created and sold by real teachers.

Login to TeacherLingo.com        Create Account on TeacherLingo.com
Visitors are welcome to view but to post you will need to register first. Registration is free and only takes a minute.
Please remember to follow our Terms of Use.

Improving student learnin

Last post 08-02-2010, 10:07 AM by TraceeL. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-08-2010, 11:24 AM 346759

Improving student learnin

I am a special education teacher in Northeast Ohio. I teach in a classroom of 5 autistic boy and on autism girl. I am currently trying to get prepared for next year. I teach multi-grade levels in my room and the class will consist of 1 third grader, 4 fourth graders, and 1 fifth grader. i have held this position for four years now and am very comfortable in the areas of language arts and math. My problem is trying to teach science ans social studies at grade level when I have only one student in that grade. Plus I only get 45 minutes to teach all three levels. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to do this successfully?
  •  08-02-2010, 10:07 AM 351040 in reply to 346759

Re: Improving student learnin

Hello, I am a regular education teacher in Northwest Ohio. I typically always have students with special needs and they stay in my room for social studies and science. Will you have all of your students until 5th grade? If not, I would suggest tying as much together as possible. Look at the standards and see where they overlap. Third grade social studies covers local government, fourth grade covers state government, and fifth grade covers state government. You could cover all areas of government local, state, and federal at once that way you are meeting the standards for all grade levels. If you will have the students for three years you might decided the years that you will teach the standards. One year you might teach standards for third grade, the next year teach standards for fourth grade, and finally teach the standards for the fifth grade.

I am assuming your autistic children are on alternative assessment. I would create all multiple choice tests. I also suggest lots of hands on projects like drawing and coloring, trioramas are fun as well. Science experiments are good. I have used clay to let students create landforms. I have used sidewalk chalk to let students trace shadows of the sun while studying weather. Anything that you think is fun they will enjoy. Good luck.

View as RSS news feed in XML