TeacherLingo.com is an educational community where teachers share their worksheets, lesson plans, printables and other original teaching resources.

Teaching Resources created and sold by real teachers.

Login to TeacherLingo.com        Create Account on TeacherLingo.com
Visitors are welcome to view but to post you will need to register first. Registration is free and only takes a minute.
Please remember to follow our Terms of Use.

Outer Space...Do or Don't...

Last post 05-13-2011, 7:55 AM by joycevera. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-05-2010, 8:19 PM 326484

Outer Space...Do or Don't...

I work in a multi-age room 3-5 and they have continued to show a great interest in Star Wars. Some things they have already been doing: bringing in the soundtrack on music share days, build space ships in block area, role play the characters and drawing pictures. To capitalize on the intrest I've considered allowing a study to be done on outer space to further their knowlege of space. Here is the problem... DAP says outer space is not appropriate because they can't touch, smell, hear... well you know. I'd like to know if anyone has any words of wisdom out there, I would love to hear it!

•  02-02-2011, 1:02 PM 410251 in reply to 326484

Re: Outer Space...Do or Don't...

I say that if the children are interested in it, go with it! I work at an NAEYC accredited childcare center and we cover a little bit of outer space. I have not yet heard that its not DAP. I'm younger and new to teaching. I have been a part time preschool teacher for about 4 years (since I was about 19) and I recently took the position of the pre-k teacher at my center. Outer space is what we are doing right now! One of the reasons I love it (the main reason) is because so many of the children show such interest in it!

I'd say go for it. Maybe do like a project-approach method with it. Ask the children what they would like to do, and do it! Each year in our preschool program we build a space ship. It used to be however the teacher decided, but as I become more educated I am learning that I should see how the children think we should do it. This Friday I will be asking them questions about how we can build a space ship in our classroom. I want to get them thinking, I want them to be creative. I'll ask questions about how, where, what kind of materials do we need. And then we'll put our ideas together and go for it!

I think that anytime a child is interested in  something, its important.

Hope that helps!
  •  04-10-2011, 12:42 PM 465194 in reply to 326484

I would not do any star wars stuff. It's commercial and fantasy. I know there are preschool books
    that may be read.

I would do more on real things. Like name the planets, sun, moon, etc.

Maybe the space shuttle. Maybe real astronauts and what they do.

I would leave the star wars stuff on the play table to let them explore on their own.

Stephen C

Teacher tips, teaching resources, teaching articles.
  •  05-13-2011, 7:55 AM 485660 in reply to 410251

I agree with Jessica. It's important as teachers to cultivate children's interest in something. It's important that we follow DAP guidelines. But it's also pretty important we answer to their curiosity. Just like the topic on dinosaurs, no human being living on Earth now will say they met a dinosaur before, feel the dinosaur and see it really close-up. But yet children are fascinated with knowing it. If you ask a preschool child who is fascinated with dinosaur, he can probably even tell u names of each dinosaur. I read from somewhere that kids aged 5 to 6 are fascinated with monster and aliens.

Thus I seriously think that as teachers, we should provide them with information, challenge their thinking from their interests. This makes learning for fun for preschoolers! :)

View as RSS news feed in XML