This school year, FCAT Writing will take place March 1-3, 2011 for grades 4, 8 and 10. Then, during the following month, April 11-22, 2011 will be FCAT Reading 2.0 for grades 3-10; FCAT 2.0 Mathematics for grades 3-8; FCAT Mathematics for grade 10; and FCAT Science for grades 5, 8 and 11.
Under the FCAT section on the Florida Department Education website, there are some tips listed for parents to help their children be successful on the test:
- Make sure your child attends school regularly. The more effort your child puts into learning, the more likely he or she will perform well on tests.
- Meet with your child’s teacher to discuss his or her progress. Ask teachers to suggest ways to help the child prepare for tests.
- Encourage your child, especially when he or she does well. A positive outlook helps children do their best.
- Provide a quiet, comfortable place for studying at home.
- Make sure that your child is well rested on school days, especially on test days.
- Give your child a well-rounded diet. This will help ensure a healthy body and a healthy, active mind.
- Provide books and magazines for your child. By reading new materials, your child will learn new words that might appear on tests.
- Don’t be too anxious about your child’s test scores. The best advice you can give your child is to “just relax and do your best.”