TeacherLingo.com is an educational community where teachers share their worksheets, lesson plans, printables and other original teaching resources.

Teaching Resources created and sold by real teachers.

Login to TeacherLingo.com        Create Account on TeacherLingo.com
Visitors are welcome to view but to post you will need to register first. Registration is free and only takes a minute.
Please remember to follow our Terms of Use.

Homework guidlines? advice for a "spring" teacher

Last post 03-15-2013, 12:42 AM by rogerdavid. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-20-2011, 9:50 PM 489016

Homework guidlines? advice for a "spring" teacher

What are some of your personal guidelines for assigning homework? time limits, topic coverage etc. Do you allow time during class to finish work or collaborate with peers?

I have observed  some experienced teachers assign reading and writing and not allow any time during the classroom. I have also observed huge class collaboration with homework due 2ce a week. Take home time was guessed to take no more then 30 minutes approximately.

Which is "better"? Which is more productive? When is more information retained? Opinions and thoughts please!
  •  05-21-2011, 12:54 PM 489159 in reply to 489016

Re: Homework guidlines? advice for a "spring" teacher

My personal philosophy is to assign homework at the beginning of class to make sure they all have it written down.  I then cover the material and during the last 15 minutes or so of class I re-announce the homework and give them time to scan over the problems to see if there are any initial questions.  I try to make the homework last about 30 to 45 minutes but that isn't a hard and fast rule.  Also, first thing the following day I ask if there are any questions on the homework and will discuss those items that gave the students issues.  If there are many issues I give them another 15 minutes (approximately) to finish up those problems.  I try to remain flexible while still staying on task with my lesson plans.  
  •  05-22-2011, 12:56 PM 489459 in reply to 489016

My personal guidleines for homework on the middle school level differ from that of the high school level. I prefer to give students indivudal daily homework pertaining to the subject we are discussing in class. I also allow them to summarize the lesson plan and discussion for the day at the end of the last 15 minutes of class. The students use cornel not taking so the summary should be easy. I dont really allow for the students to do homework in class becuase I feel they should be refreshing their minds with the topics discusssed at home. In terms of in class collaboration, I do a quarter group project within one of the lesson plans and allow them time to collaborate in class. This also allows me to see who is particpating and where the group is heading in terms of assignment.

I find that if I allow them to do homework in class most of the studnets are not using the time wisely and are socializing. I also find that if they read over the notes and do the homework at night they can particpate better in the discussions. In general most do th ehomework, there are a few that I keep in for recess if they did not do the homework.

•  05-22-2011, 7:17 PM 489546 in reply to 489016

I personally am not a stickler for homework, however I do feel its necessity to supplement the material covered during class. Whatever you do, it needs to be guided.  Saying something like read or study is vague and rarely will you see the student take it upon themselves to do so.  But, when you assign a little homework assignment that goes along with the reading or research, then you're more likely to see a positive participation from the students.  With this said, as a social studies teacher I would probably assign homework 2-3 times during the week with about 20-30 minutes expected for the assignment, with a couple take home projects and papers as well.  This will keep students on-task and will help the homework to align with class.
  •  09-28-2012, 1:42 AM 703830 in reply to 489016

My personal philosophy is to assign homework at the beginning of class to make sure they all have it written down. Also give such type of homework which is cover in class room and also relevant to teached topic.It is not possible for teacher to cover the topic in details so it is responsibility of parents or student to do details study of given topics.
  •  03-15-2013, 12:42 AM 747797 in reply to 489016

You have given some of very fine tips for homework. They are more convenient and kids will not feel burdened due to that. The parents will also be satisfied due to this.

new york activities for kids for kids overall development
View as RSS news feed in XML